20/05/2022 - 12/04/2025
Nicola Hooper Tularaemia (rabbit fever) zoonotic wallpaper , 2018
- Hand-coloured lithograph, digitally printed
- Size variable
- Image Credit
- Courtesy of the artist
About the exhibition
Through drawing and lithography, Nicola Hooper uses fairy-tale iconology and rhymes to explore concepts surrounding zoonoses (animal diseases that can infect humans). The exhibition ZOONOSES explores how we perceive certain animals in the context of fear and disease.
Nicola is a Logan-based artist with a background in design and illustration. Lithography and drawing became integral to her studio practice whilst she completed a MAVA and MAVA (Hons) at Queensland College of Art in Brisbane. She is currently a Doctoral Candidate and was awarded a GU Postgraduate Research Scholarship to undertake her doctoral studies.
Nicola has undertaken a number of residencies; her most recent at the Tanks Arts Centre, Cairns, under the watchful eye of master printer, Theo Tremblay. Her work has been exhibited nationally and internationally and is held in public and private collections.
ZOONOSES includes artworks created in January 2019 during a studio stay at Black Church Print Studio in Dublin, while Nicola researched the Celtic myth ‘Concerning Cats’ by Lady Francesca Wilde in her book Ancient Legends, Mystic Charms, and Superstitions of Ireland 1887. Nicola re-tells this story, making associations to the zoonosis ‘Toxoplasmosis’. The works are all created using hand coloured stone lithography including an artist book, prints, wallpaper and a mobile.
This exhibition lends itself to unique public program opportunities, including a visually spectacular, collaborative wallpaper program for children; ‘construct a fly’ workshops; children’s animation workshop undertaken by Dr Zeynep Akcay; polyester plate lithography workshop for children or adults; artist talks; art/science panel discussion opportunities; and storytelling.
About the artists
- Gympie Regional Gallery (QLD) 20/05/2022 - 07/07/2022
- Coalface Art Gallery (QLD) 31/07/2022 - 14/10/2022
- Gladstone Regional Art Gallery and Museum (QLD) 05/11/2022 - 14/01/2023
- Bundaberg Regional Art Gallery (QLD) 23/01/2023 - 26/03/2023
- Currently at: Grafton Regional Gallery (NSW) 22/04/2023 - 18/06/2023
- Manning Regional Art Gallery (NSW) 14/07/2023 - 26/08/2023
- Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (VIC) 03/09/2023 - 23/10/2023
- Devonport Regional Gallery (TAS) 24/11/2023 - 06/01/2024
- Signal Point Gallery (SA) 17/02/2024 - 28/04/2024
- Hurstville Museum & Gallery (NSW) 04/05/2024 - 28/07/2024
- Gosford Regional Gallery (NSW) 09/11/2024 - 02/02/2025
- Warwick Art Gallery (QLD) 27/02/2025 - 12/04/2025
ZOONOSES is a touring exhibition of works by Dr Nicola Hooper presented by Logan Art Gallery, Logan City Council, in partnership with Museums & Galleries Queensland. This project has been assisted by the Australian Government’s Visions of Australia program, and is supported by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, part of the Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy. Proudly sponsored by Haymes Paint.