Neridah Stockley Building and hills, 2018
- Stoneware with underglaze
- 6.5 x 6.5cm, 7 x 7cm and 6 x 4.5cm
Neridah Stockley Desert home, 2018
- Oil on board
- 50 x 40cm
Neridah Stockley Campground trees, 2015
- Oil on board
- 30 x 20cm
Neridah Stockley Rooftops, 2016
- Drypoint etching
- 40 x 30cm
About the exhibition
A Secular View: Neridah Stockley is an exhibition spanning twenty-five years of sustained practice by Northern Territory based artist Neridah Stockley and is curated by Gillean Shaw, Art Curator, University of Newcastle Art Gallery. Whilst Stockley is best known as a painter, this survey reveals the diversity of her practice including drawings, collage, dry point etchings and a growing body of ceramic work.
The idea of a ‘survey’ plays on the notion of surveying the landscape, whether urban, rural or domestic. Through numerous en plein air encounters Stockley creates a personal record that is later reworked and resolved in the studio. This relationship to space and returning to place was etched in the artist’s mind travelling between Dubbo and the Blue Mountains as a child, and later between Central Australia and New South Wales.
Stockley’s work is characterised by abstracted compositions that hint at narrative or symbolic content, traversing memory and experience in an ongoing dialogue with visual interpretation. Domestic in scale, she invites the viewer to encounter a section of surveyed and deconstructed landscape, through a process of re-visioning the natural and manufactured world into linear and geometric planes and forms.
The exhibition explores the depth of the artist’s oeuvre, presenting Stockley’s individual approach to abstraction, gestural mark-making and lyrical style to create a distinctive visual vernacular.
Artists and Curator
- Gillean Shaw – Curator – The University Gallery, University of Newcastle
"It is through drawing and painting you get to know the bones of a place"
Neridah Stockley 2018
Available Dates and
- Available dates
- 19/10/2020 - 31/12/2022
- Exhibition size
- Between 75-100 sq or running metres
- Originating state
- Organised by
- Artback NT
- $3,000 (exc. freight)
- Web Site
- Other materials
- Interpretive materials: Education Sheet and Children’s Trail. Neridah Stockley is available for public programs which need to be negotiated between the artist and the venue.
- Primary contact
- Jo Foster
- Visual Arts Manager
- Artback NT
- 08 8953 5941
- Artback NT in association with the University of Newcastle & has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council; it's arts funding advisory body. Artback NT is also proudly sponsored by the Northern Territory Government.