Deborah Kelly Tapestries, 2021
- CREATION Tapestries woven from collaborative collages
- 5 x 140x125cm
- Image Credit
- Photo: Ana Kucera
Deborah Kelly Wall drawing, 2021
- Oilstick on gallery wall
- Image Credit
- Deborah Kelly
Deborah Kelly stills from For Creation, 2021
- 7’22” animation
About the exhibition
CREATION is a cross-disciplinary, evolving artwork made of human connection, belief and hope. The work manifests in encounters between people and places, realised as an interactive world of artefacts, performance events, tools, resources and community workshops.
CREATION is a queer, science fiction climate change religion for our times. It comprises elaborate costumes, dance moves, songs, a major animated collage work featuring banging disco anthem soundtrack by Sydney dancefloor gurus Stereogamous, karaoke videos, woven tapestries and a scrolling Liturgy.
CREATION opened to warm audience and critical response at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia in March 2021, and has confirmed presentation partners in Newcastle, Lismore, Brisbane and Melbourne.
- CREATION is available to tour from May to early August 2022, then from early October 2022 onwards.
Artists and Curator
- Original curator: Rachel Kent
Instigating artist: Deborah Kelly, S.J Norman: writer of the Liturgy Angela Goh: movement director Lex Lindsay: music director James King: Costumier Melody Pei Li: animator Alia Ardon: filmmaker and the poets: Brian Fuata, Ellen Van Neerven, Heather Grace Jones, Evelyn Araluen, Jinghua Qian & Peter Swain
Available Dates and
- Available dates
- 01/05/2022 - 31/12/2025
- Exhibition size
- Between 50-75 sq or running metres
- Originating state
- Organised by
- MCA Australia
- Contact to discuss
- Web Site
- Other materials
- CREATION includes a set of large scale full colour Holy Cards which can be sold through gallery shops. With the Griffith University Art Museum, CREATION is publishing a comprehensive full colour book which will also accompany the exhibition.
- Primary contact
- Su Goldfish
- Secondary contact
- Deborah Louise Kelly
- CREATION has been supported by The Australia Council for the Arts, Create NSW, City of Sydney, Arts House Melbourne, Vital Statistix, Destination NSW